NJ MechaFORCESM — Registered Internship Manufacturing Program
From its home at New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT), which is a public research university, with the support of numerous state and national partners, and with continued financial support from such manufacturers as Triangle Manufacturing Co. Inc., and Norwalt Design, Inc., M-RIMSM helps all interested NJ manufacturers attract talent from:
- Graduating high school students (Traditional, Career and Technical Education/CTE and Vocational Education) who begin their studies in this field in 11th and 12th grades
- Millennials, Generation X populations and others who might have never considered manufacturing careers
Even with the resurgence of many advanced manufacturing educational programs across the state, the outcomes are still not generating graduates and skilled workers at the volumes or pace to meet your needs.
M-RIMSM is patterned after the US Department of Labor’s registered apprenticeship program, now known as ApprenticeshipUSA. This program is a proven solution for recruiting, training, and retaining world-class talent. Today more than 400,000 individuals participate annually in some 20,000 programs across the US. Of these 20,000 programs, several hundred are in manufacturing occupations, and for each occupation, there are associated employer-driven standardized curriculum (e.g. Mechatronics Technician, CNC Operator, Welder, Machinist). It’s an effective strategy to ensure that you have a workforce who possesses the specific skills required to meet the emerging demands of today’s modern and increasingly automated manufacturing workplace.
The ApprenticeshipUSA program encourages a third party to act as an intermediary or “Sponsor” of the program for the purpose of easing additional burdens on companies especially in cases where the company is small to medium sized and perhaps without its own human resources, training and IT divisions or units.
There are ApprenticeshipUSA federal officials in every State. For example, in New Jersey there are four professionals whose office is in Iselin. In addition, in each NJ county, there is an Apprenticeship professional; and similarly there is an Apprenticeship specialist in the NJ Department of Labor and Workforce Development. M-RIMSM is honored and appreciative to be receiving assistance from each of these Offices.
M-RIMSM KEY CHARACTERISTICS:
- M-RIMSM is employer-driven and requires participants to undergo on-the-job training plus classroom instruction.
- Employees participating in the program are called Registered Interns (RIs) but in all aspects this is a synonym for the term, “Apprentice.”
- Encourages use of a flexible training strategy that is customizable to needs of every type business and which can be integrated into current training and human resource development strategies.
- Mantra is “earn and learn” where RIs receive paychecks from day #1, so wages are being earned concurrent with learning on-the-job and in classrooms.
- Offers RIs an educational and career pathway with on- and off-ramps which lead to one or more of the following outcomes: college credit, industry-valued credentials and even Associates and Bachelor’s degree that can be earned studying part-time while being full-time employed.
Benefits of M-RIMSM for Your Company
More Skilled Workers
Save Time & Money
Better Employee Retention
More Resource Opportunities
To learn more about how M-RIMSM can help you find and retain your next talented RI, locate nearby schools and quality online programs through which your RIs can complete their formal learning requirements, and better understand even more benefits to your company from operating RI programs, please click here for M-RIMSM contact information.
M-RIMSM is able to maximize its impact by having the well-established NJ Institute of Technology serve as its intermediary sponsor between your company and the ApprenticeshipUSA office.
In this role, NJIT partners with manufacturers to identify and/or recruit potential Registered Interns (RI’s) in the occupational titles most in need, implements the program and agreements between the employers and employees, monitors the employees’ progress through the specific on-the-job learning and educational pathways for that occupational title, and ensures that all of the requirements have been met and the RI is certified when completed to receive a nationally recognized, portable and stackable manufacturing credential from the US government.
As the sponsor, NJIT connects the employer and RI with other NJ resources and institutions focused on recruitment and development of NJ’s workforce. NJ companies already accepting RIs and/or expressing interest include:
- Triangle Manufacturing Co. Inc.
- Norwalt Design, Inc.
- Baumer of America
- Stryker Orthopedics
- Sandvik Coromant
- Eastern Millwork
- Case Medical
- Brick Recycling
- Excelsior Medical
- West Rock Packaging
High Schools Interested in Participating:
- New Brunswick
- West Side
- Somerset County CTE
2-Year Colleges Interested in Participating:
- Bergen, Burlington
- Ocean, Morris
- Raritan Valley
4-Year Interested in Universities Participating: